Tuesday, June 6, 2006

Why Is Every Subject the Hardest and the Scariest

The audio lecture for Contracts begins with comments on how Contracts is the subject most likely to strike fear in the hearts of students. The audio lecture for Property begins with comments about how hard it is. Evidence professors talk about the intricacies of the rules and the importance of remembering every small detail. Does every law professor think their subject is the hardest, the scariest, the most difficult to master? And from that are we supposed to infer that, because the lecturer was the speaker chosen by PMBR or Law School Legends or BarBri or Sum & Substance, he or she must be the smartest, most special person ever? F*#!wits.

My brain seems again to be regressing to the first year of law school days when everything - especially unshoveled sidewalks outside of Starbucks - was a negligence suit waiting to happen and I yelled at TV lawyers for getting things wrong. I'm not really watching TV and I'm not going to Starbucks, but the law taking over common sense and normal human interaction is happening again. Someone makes a declaratory or conclusory statement and my automatic response is, "Do you have any evidence to back that up?" Trading food supplies with my roommate and the subject of value comes up, I point out the peppercorn theory of consideration, and she responds that she liked me better before I decided to go to law school. Fun stuff.

I'm again planning to spend my day having fun with Real Property. I tried my first set of MBEs last night and it was a disaster. I fell for every trick in the book. I'd like to excuse my poor performance by saying that it was 1:00 in the morning and I was doing it because I couldn't sleep, but that just seems lame. I can consistently get 75-80% when I answer questions one subject at a time. I should be able to get something close to that when the subjects are mixed, even if I should be sleeping at the time. Just in case you think I'm being to hard on myself, I do allow myself to get them all wrong if I'm actually asleep.

Going to yoga now and then back to the books! Collected mneumonics and study tips to come later.

No comments:

Post a Comment